Friday, December 24, 2010

Out Of The Woods.

There is nothing better than driving down a country road, Led Zeppelin on the radio, the sky like an old tie-dye I remember my sister wearing, bits of leaves bedazzled on my jacket and a basket full of persimmons.  The persimmon tree was just on the edge of the road, cornfield to the left, scant forest to the right and an old mailbox next to a gravel driveway running right down the middle.  I'm sure it was private property but it didn't seem that anyone had touched the tree, so I filled my basket and left plenty for the next like me.  I found no black trumpets, I might be on the wrong track and time for them.  I'll have to do more research.  And turns out elderberries have long passed, at least my father said when I laid their vacancy on him.  Then there is always my go-to, dandelions but it's getting late for them too, however I did get enough to saute for dinner.  I brought them home, cleaned them and sauted them in bacon fat.  As a child, not having a taste for coffee I knew one thing Hills Bros. coffee cans were good for-bacon fat.  Today I save bacon fat in deli containers and usually have some in my refrigerator.  My partner loves blt's so everytime she makes one I strain the fat and reserve it.  Here's the recipe I put together.  Very easy.
1 pound dandelion greens, cleaned
2 cloves garlic, roasted
1 T bacon fat
Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
Add bacon fat to pan, allow to warm, add roasted garlic and smash into the fat, add dandelion green and saute until tender.  Serve.  Delish.  You can also add a touch of balsamic to the fat to make for a wilted green salad type of dish.  You can leave out the bacon fat and use canola oil, olive oil or butter.
I'll let you know about my curried persimmon marmalade another day.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment