Friday, December 24, 2010

Cream Of Mushroom and Truffle Soup

In addition to the many meat delights I served for the Gimme Shelter Event I hosted over the weekend, I had a vegetarian and a vegan soup option.  While both were good the favorite was the vegetarian cream of mushroom and truffle soup.  I have been asked by many to share the recipe so here it is:
"1 pill makes you larger and 1 pill makes you small," read this  blog because that mushroom stock is the base for this soup.  The clarified mushroom stock is the secret.  However you can use boxed mushroom stock from Whole Foods-but it's not as good.  You will need three to four quarts
8 oz. button mushrooms
4 oz. mixed "gourmet" mushrooms, oyster, crimini, shittake
4 oz. my lover-Maitake
2 cups cream
1 T black truffle oil
2 bay leaf
1 T grapeseed oil
1-1 1/2 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Chop and saute mushrooms with grapeseed oil in stock pot, saute until sweated and soft, add a little salt and the red wine vinegar to bring out the mushroom liquid and add acidity.  Add stock, bay leaf and let simmer for about an hour.  Remove bay leaf and transfer to a blender, a couple batches at a time.  Once very nicely pureed add back to cleaned stock pot.  Add the two cups of cream, the black truffle oil and salt and pepper to taste.  If you feel the soup is too thin for you, you can toast some cubes of rye bread and add them to the blending process, mmmkay, that will make this soup taste delicious with a nice stout.  Or before you transfer it back to the stock pot make a roux of 1 T flour to 1 T of butter.  I did neither or those things but also as I have said, I eyeball my recipes then I transfer them to my notebook and then blog after the fact so these are approximations, but very good approximations I'll say.  And someday I truly believe I will have the time to recipe test! 
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment