Friday, December 24, 2010

Chanterelles!

This apricoty deliciously nutty magical and peppery mushroom is probably the reason why I fell in love with the taste of mushrooms.  It is so distinct and beautiful.  Commonly found in coniferous forests, forming sybiotic relationships you'll find them tucked away or nestled close to trees.  Birch and beech.  I just recently stopped by The Fish Guy to discuss a new relationship-he'll be selling my pierogi.  Even though he's The Fish Guy he brings in lots of other cool things like mushrooms.  Knowing my mushroom love, as I was leaving he gave me a bag of chanterelles.  I suppose I hadn't had a chanterelle in a while but as soon as I got home I heated them in a skillet with a couple drops of grapeseed oil, salt and pepper.  Oh my GOSH!  It immediately reeled me back to being about six and coming home from a mushroom hunt on my grandparents farm and I distinctly remember standing on a foot stool at the stove sauting these babies.  Chanterelles, if not found in late summer in a pine forest near you, can be found anywhere from Wholefoods to believe it or not, Costco.  My mother just told me she saw them there at a ridiculously low price.  I don't shop at Costco.  Nothing against them but whenever I'm in a warehouse type place I get lost.  But if you have an opportunity to pick some up, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment