Friday, December 24, 2010

C-Is For Cookie!

Cookies are simple!  They can be made way ahead of time, cut, frozen and then saved until you are ready to bake.  Baking really began to make sense for me when I read Michael Ruhlman's "Ratios."  I recommend that book to anyone who likes cooking whether you are a beginner or have even gone to cooking school.  He describes the cookie recipe as 1-2-3, 2 oz. sugar: 4 oz. butter: 6 oz. flour.  I use this ratio and then depending on what type of cookie I'm making, change it up a little.  Here is the recipe for my maitake mushroom cookies.
115 g maitake, 4 oz package- dehydrate and pulverize in spice grinder, sift. (leaves you with less weight)
2 oz sugar
4 oz butter
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 eggs
So as you can see I've added and taken away some things.  I add the egg at the end because I like how it brings it together. 
Ok, so let the butter come to room temp.  Place it in kitchen aid with paddle attachment and mix with sugar, add the maitake mushroom powder and slowly beat in the flour.  As I said I add the egg at the end.  Then I flour my hands.  Pull out the cookie dough and then roll  it into a ball.  I place it in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes and then roll it out on a floured surface.  Roll it to about 1/8-1/4 inch thick and cut with tiny circle cutter or whatever cutter you like depending on your party or occasion and then place on sheet tray lined with parchment and freeze.  After about 20 minutes in the freezer these should pop right off and you can save them in a ziploc for later use.  Or you can bake them fresh at 350 for about ten minutes, until the bottoms are nice and golden. 
I use these cookies as a sandwich for a pecan ice cream.  I use my cookies mostly to make ice cream sandwiches for Underground Dinners.  In the past I have made cornbread shortbread cookies that sandwiched an oyster ice cream.  And black pepper shortbread cookies that sandwiched a scrambled egg ice cream with house cured pork belly and maple syrup.  These may sound strange but they have been some guest's favorite dishes.  Experiment with your cookies.  Cookie is good enough for me, remember this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8mB6VsUHw

No comments:

Post a Comment