Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shrimp Noodles.

I spoiled myself with lunch today!
Wd-50 and the man behind it, Wylie Dufresne, was the creator of shrimp noodles (as far as I know) but it is certainly one of his claims to fame.  Using about 95 percent shrimp, activa and a couple other ingredients... When I was staging one day at Schwa they were making scallop noodles: blending the seared scallop with 10% activa, white wine reduced with shallots and garlic, then piping it out onto silpats in long noodle shapes and then allowing it to set.  Last summer I decided I wanted to put a shrimp noodle on my menu with a primavera style, right, but I don't have the kitchen space to put those large sheet trays of noodles so that they can refrigerate and set however I did attempt the noodles and with my Kitchen Aid blender-did not succeed.  You really need a vita prep for this it seems.  Now I have a borrowed vita prep courtesy of my Aunt Barb but after some research as well as thought I've figured out another way to go about making the noodles.  I'm not sure that I get the most refined look-a challenge to work on for this week, but I did get a great tasting shrimp noodle expressing the "point."  I blended about 20 raw shrimp with a pinch of kosher salt and enough reduced white wine and 1/2 a small shallot and about 10% activa to get a nice blended, smooth mixture.  Then I put all of the mixture into a food saver baggie, vacuum sealed it and then pushed out the shrimp mixture flat as could be to all corners (I think next time to get a thinner noodle I will use a bigger baggy or less mixture).  I allowed it to sit for 36 hours then I cooked it sous vide for about 6 minutes or so in 130 degree water.  A good indication that it's done will be a nice pink color.  I allowed it to cool, opened the baggie and then sliced the noodles thin and even.  I reheated them gently in an emulsified butter and water mixture, buerre monte, and then added sauteed garlic, shallot, white bread crumbs, toasted quinoa and finely chopped spinach.  This was a fun way to have that old Country Lounge Shrimp Scampi.

No comments:

Post a Comment