Sunday, January 23, 2011

Koval Distillery

The first boutique distillery in Chicago since prohibition...!  That's so sexy right?  Well anyways they are right around the corner from me.  I loved walking past in the fall and beneath the garage door I could see boxes of organic pears for miles.  I use a Koval liquor on each menu of my underground dinners.  Currently I'm using Lion's Pride Whiskey, turning it into a butterscotch.  It's probably one of the tastiest things I've every made and will have to run some down to them.  I'm putting it over bacon ice cream in a black pepper cone.  Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup plus 1 T sugar
1/2 cup koval lion's pride
1 t apple cider vin
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 stick butter
ice cream cones

this is the stuff
Caramelize the sugar over medium heat.  Remove from heat and whisk in liquids.  It will bubble, sizzle and become hard, return to heat to allow sugar to melt back into mixture.  Once incorporated, remove from heat and whisk in cold butter, one cube at a time.  Refrigerate.  This should keep for about two weeks.  I use it for ice cream but you can use it for pancakes, pork chops, whateva it's so freakin' good.

No comments:

Post a Comment