Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Conch Republic

I love ceviche.  On the fall menu of One Sister Underground I had a scallop "ceviche."  It was ceviche in the sense that table side I poured an acid component consisting of tomato water and lime juice over the scallop which was already steamed rare, served with heirloom beets sliced paper thin, marinated shallots, cilantro puree and herbs.  Nice and light.  I was recently in Key West.  My first time ever.  I loved it.  But instead of a hunt for Cuban food like I do when in Florida I was in search of conch salad- a dish from the Bahamas is what I've gathered.  Johnsons, a small grocer seeming mostly like a convenient store, was where I was told to go by a local.  It was on the corner of something and something not far off Duval St.  Behind the counter, next to the cigarettes, a young girl spooned heaps of conch ceviche into a Styrofoam bowl for me.  I paid twelve dollars for about a pound and a half and walked out to a corner bench and dug in.  It was fantastic.  I had conch ceviche at three other places, Johnsons was the best.  It was simple too.
1 pound conch, diced.  Don't get tenderized.
2 tomatoes, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced
3 seeded cucumbers, diced
1/2 cup lime juice
2 T Louisiana hot sauce
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Mix and allow to sit for couple hours to overnight, dish up and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment