Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mustard Green Malfatti

Malfatti.  The translation is something like, "badly made."  I'm not sure.  I think that's what I remember Tony Priolo say when I worked at Piccolo Sogno.  But hell, badly made is easy.  I can make something that looks like a human made it!  That's my favorite way to make things.  I had SO much mustard.  From just a square foot garden plot I pulled near 5 pounds.  I also pulled that weight in Swiss Chard today but I focused on the mustard because having too much gave me anxiety.  I began to grow these before my dinners were over and used the more tender baby greens wilted on top of course twenty, rabbit ravioli.  Now the greens are big, fluffy, and spicy.  This is my third turn on that plot already this season!  I'll likely have about one more.  Currently my plots have greens growing that I hope to bolt in time for edible flowers for Elizabeth's opening along with other items I will pickle and use for garnish.  Either way I gave some mustard and chard to my neighbors but the rest I will use this week in different preparations, some I will also turn to sorbet.  I love green sorbets.  Tonight I decided on malfatti, last minute decision but at this point it's only appropriate to make the best pheasant food I can considering I'm on a tight tight budget and ramen hurts my belly. 
I don't think I even made this malfatti in any traditional way.  I didn't have ricotta on hand so here's what I did and remember I eyeball then I write it down in what I think it might be appropriate measurements so you have to taste, touch, and experiment for yourself.
3 cups of chopped mustard greens.  Quickly blanch in salted water, chill then strain.
1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/8 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
Place the mustard greens, buttermilk, eggs and cheese in food processor and blend until nicely incorporated.
Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.  Slowly add the flour, incorporating with a spatula.
Let set for twenty minutes.
Bring 4 quarts of water to a simmer, using two spoons, scoop a small amount (about ounce) of malfatti onto spoon and use other spoon to push it off into the water.  You can put about 5-8 in pot at a time.  Allow to cook until they float for one minute and the using slotted spoon transfer to an oiled sheet tray to cool.  Repeat until all malfatti batter is used, should be around 3-4 cups malfatti when finished.  
I heated mine in a chicken glace with chicken thighs, zucchini flowers, butter and finished it with parmesan cheese.  You can do whatever you want.  You can also use any green you want.  It's scrumptious.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds totally delicious and unlike anything I've had! Thanks Iliana! :-)

    ReplyDelete