Friday, May 4, 2012

Turkey Hunting

My father wouldn't pull over to let me shoot the turkeys in the wide open field.  It just doesn't seem fair that we had to go into the woods, sit in a camouflage tent and wait when they are sitting there in the wide open as we drive past.  I suppose living in the City for 12 years now and hearing about drive-by shootings day in and day out it seems natural to me to just prop the shotgun out the side of the window and bam!  He says, "the  game wardens can search your vehicle with less evidence against ya than a police officer.  Shooting out of the vehicle is illegal."
So we sat, we waited, we called, they called back but they never arrived.  I have mixed feelings about hunting animals.  There is the side of me that collects the spiders from the house onto paper and gently nudges them out the back door or off the porch.  The side of me that stops for hurt pigeons on the side of the road and tries to nurse them back to health in my basement.  AND THeN, there is the side of me that wants to blow the turkey's head off.  Rip an arrow through the deer's heart.  Knock the ducks out of the sky one by one.  Two nights ago I watched "War Horse," and had serious trouble trying to contain my tears, practically weeping about how lovely this horse was and at the same time wondering what horse meat would taste like.  Well, I suppose I'm strange, fucked up, weird.  Whatever the case maybe when it comes down it in order of importance collecting, foraging, harvesting, and hunting my food is far more rewarding that picking it up at the grocery store or getting it delivered.  So that means hunting wins out. Did you know people hunt bears with Twinkies?
Well so I didn't get a thing.  Maybe it is the peace loving side of me that ruins my hunting for me.  Maybe it's that while my intention is to hunt I'm too loud and sidetracked by the beautiful flora that surrounds me.  My father says, "put that decoy in the open and then get back over here and don't move."  But on the way back over I spot a wild carrot to dig out, take note of the wild raspberry bushes, and kick the ground when I'm pissed to know how everything has come a month early this year and my REAL intention was to find morels while I was out here.
I often get asked where one can find different edible flora.  I made special note of Jasper-Pulaski if anyone wants to take the trek.  Area 13-fiddle heads, miner's lettuce, birch.  Area 7-burnt out, which means good for morels, fiddle heads, blueberries, pine.  Area 8-pine, wild raspberries, wild strawberries, wild carrots.
This game preserve is wild and abundant.  It's beautiful and peaceful, even with the gunshots ringing in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment